www.silverhillcreative.com

www.silverhillcreative.com is now live! Follow me there.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Custom Hat Process

I wanted to share a photo of a custom cloche I recently finished:
Burgundy fur felt cloche

That's a 3/4 view. First we discussed basic shape (cloche), then type and color of felt (plain finish burgundy fur felt). After I blocked the overall shape, we talked about trim a bit and how the brim should be cut. 

Based on her face shape, I went with a flared, asymmetrical brim. (She has an eyebrow ring, so the brim was cut higher on that side to show it off!) I didn't want the bulk of a welted (turned under) brim, but I wanted to add some wire for structure/stability, so that's the logic behind the choice of the matching grosgrain ribbon. 

She liked the burgundy paisley silk from another hat I had done, so that's how the band was chosen. And the cockade was my idea — to suit her personality. Similar to a rosette, which she had admired on another hat of mine, but a specific type of vintage flair that I thought really suited her.

Custom cloche (right side)
Custom cloche (front)


No comments:

Post a Comment